Tuesday 20 September 2011

Introduction

I have such a vast interest in mythology that I finally decided to create a blog about it. I have done and still do a lot of research, particularly into Greek and Roman mythology and I guess I just wanted to join the websites and blogs that spread these wonderful stories and attempt to simplify them for others or perhaps offer new information. Of course I will probably never be able to include all that I have learned and there is probably a lot I still do not know but I will do my best.

For the moment this blog will focus on Greek and Roman mythology, chiefly Greek, though I do hope to go into the differences. It will be in parallel to the writing of my original story, which is based around Greek mythology, though for the moment I will keep all details on that quiet.

First, I'll start with the creation myths of which there were a few including Chaos, Pandora and Lycaon to name a few characters. The Greeks tales did vary and contrast with one another as poets at the time embellished and added new details, altering certain stories, in many cases there is one set story as opposed to many but there are minor details that change from telling to telling. For example, some said Persephone had no children, others made her the mother of Dionysus, Melinoe and Makaria. Some said there were two Dionysuses, one her child, the other the son of Semele, and some sources listed Makaria as a child of Hades with an unknown mother. Another example, again concerning Persephone would be her infamous abduction, Homer never alludes to it and it was Hesiod who first mentioned it in the Theogony.

Before I begin I would like to state that like all other websites and blogs I do use other sources for my information, some historical and some not. If you are looking for good summaries I suggest wikipedia (believe it or not), for good quotes and profiles http://www.theoi.com/, one of my main sources. For the original sources that these sites use- Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey, Homeric Hymns, Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Apollonius' Jason and the Golden Fleece, and Apollodorus' Bibliotheca. 

I realise with this blog it will be a lot of text, I guess because image wise I'm struggling to find images to put between the chunks of text and as for the text, I don't want to leave anything out. I find it frustrating having to jump from book to book and site to site to find out ALL the information on a particular deity or story and I want this site to include everything so that people aren't scratching their heads thinking okay I heard something else about that god but what was it or wasn't there another version of that story.


I'm also trying to group things in a sensible manner although certain titbits and stories will crop up that I will want to include but I'm trying hard not to ramble and to make sense.

So, welcome to this humble blog and I hope it is of use and interest :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment